Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Christmas Bells...

This past year here has definitely had its fair share of mountaintop-highs and valley-lows, but through it all He has been faithful.
The struggles started the very next day after I arrived here (back in January), with political unrest that resulted in strikes and travel blockades that made it very difficult to get out and travel to begin meeting Deaf. We really struggled to find and meet Deaf women, and when we did finally begin meeting them, we struggled connecting and building relationships with them. Natural disasters occurred, like flooding during monsoon season and 2 big earthquakes that hit neighbouring countries sending tremors and aftershocks that were felt here. Conflicts arose from unexpected places, we struggled with sickness, and are ending the year with heightened security travel advisors from the US Embassy because of the attacks in Paris and threats against foreigners travelling and living overseas.
All the struggles were beginning to weigh on me and discourage me. Especially looking at the attacks in Paris, and the threats of more attacks, it seemed the world was so full of hate.
Then I attended a Christmas service here, and the pastor used the song "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" in his message. This song was originally written as a poem during the Civil War, and its words really spoke to me and seemed very applicable to this time.
I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
I heard the bells on Christmas day
their old familiar carols play
and wild and sweet their songs repeat
of peace on earth, goodwill to men
And the bells are ringing (peace on earth)
like a choir they're singing (peace on earth)
in my heart I hear them
peace on earth, goodwill to men
And in despair I bowed my head
there is no peace on earth I said
for hate is strong and mocks the song
of peace on earth, goodwill to men
But the bells are ringing (peace on earth)
like a choir they're singing (peace on earth)
does anybody hear them?
peace on earth, goodwill to men
Then rang the bells more loud and deep
God is not dead, nor doth He sleep (peace on earth, peace on earth)
the wrong shall fail, the right prevail
with peace on earth, goodwill to men
Then ringing singing on its way
the world revolved from night to day
a voice, a chime, a chant sublime
of peace on earth, goodwill to men
And the bells are ringing (peace on earth)
like a choir they're singing (peace on earth)
and with our hearts we'll hear them 
peace on earth, goodwill to men
Do you hear the bells they're ringing (peace on earth)?
They're like the angels singing (peace on earth)
open up your heart and hear them (peace on earth)
peace on earth, goodwill to men
peace on earth, peace on earth
peace on earth, goodwill to men
(Casting Crowns lyrics, words originally written by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow)

The message and this song really encouraged me again, and reminded me that God is still in control, no matter how dark the world may seem. And I looked back over the year remembering the good times in the midst of the struggles: After the strikes and political unrest finally ended here in March, we did stay busy engaging Deaf until the end of September. During that time period, God really opened lots of doors with Deaf, including Deaf women, we built lots of relationships, we began to be invited into their homes, and developed a good reputation with the Deaf community here. I was also able to visit my family for two weeks for an early Christmas, and even though we all thought it was just a high hope, I was able to be there for my nephew's birth! 
God is not dead, nor doth He sleep. The wrong shall fail and the right prevail with peace on earth goodwill to men! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZtNlZmnEMU)  

My Nephew!


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, I love the message in that song! I love how God speaks to us in so many ways, encouraging our hearts.

    ReplyDelete