Sunday, May 1, 2016

Lessons from Isaiah



I have thoroughly enjoyed my recent study of Isaiah over the end of 
last year and the beginning of this year. I have found it to be full of encouragement and comfort, especially in light of everything that is going on in our world today, and in the midst of some of the obstacles we have faced here this past year and a half. These are some of my favourite verses from my study of Isaiah: 

I will praise you, O Lord! You were angry with me, but not anymore. Now you comfort me. See, God has come to save me. I will trust in Him and not be afraid. The Lord God is my strength and my song; He has given me victory! 
You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you! 
So the Lord must wait for you to come to Him so He can show you His love and compassion. For the Lord is a faithful God. Blessed are those who wait for His help. Though the Lord gave you adversity for food and suffering for drink, He will still be with you to teach you. You will see your teacher with your own eyes. Your own ears will hear Him. Right behind you a voice will say, "This is the way you should go," whether to the right or to the left. 
How can you say God ignores your rights? Have you never heard? Have you never understood? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of all the earth. He never grows weak or weary. No one can measure the depths of His understanding. He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless. Even youths will become weak and tired and young men will fall in exhaustion. But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint. 
Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand. 
But now listen to the Lord who created you, the one who formed you says, "Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name, you are mine. When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Saviour. I have cared for you since you were born. Yes, I carried you before you were born. I will be your God throughout your lifetime. I made you and I will care for you. I will carry you along and save you. You are my servant and you will bring me glory. I replied, "But my works seems so useless! I have spent my strength for nothing and to no purpose. Yet I leave it all in the Lord's hand; I will trust God." And now the Lord speaks -- the One who formed me in my mother's womb to be His servant. My God has given me strength. He says, "I will make you a light to the Gentiles, and you will bring my salvation to the ends of the earth." Yet you say, "The Lord has deserted us; the Lord has forgotten us." Never! Can a mother forget her nursing child? Can she feel no love for the child she has born? But even if that were possible, I would not forget you! See, I have written your name on the palms of my hand. (Most of these verses come from the chapters 40-50 in Isaiah in the New Living Translation).


No comments:

Post a Comment